Thought Machine is solving one of the biggest problems in banking. Since launching in 2014, our mission has been to liberate banks from outdated, legacy technology which stifles their ability to innovate. Thought Machine’s core product Vault is a cloud native, core banking engine built to run any type of bank - from established Tier 1 banks all the way to new challenger banks.
To move closer to achieving our mission, we are looking for highly talented individuals to join the fast growing team. With a founding team drawn from Google, we have a deep culture of engineering excellence and we believe it is this which delivers a solution compelling enough to engender a seismic shift in the banking industry.
Thought Machine was ranked as the most desirable London fintech to work at by Sifted when comparing employee reviews on Glassdoor and named in Fintech 50 (2020). We pride ourselves on having an excellent internal culture, where we take cultural fit as important as technical fit when we make new hires. At Thought Machine, we strive hard to create a fast-paced, supportive and fun working environment to enable the team to produce the best technical work in the industry.
As a Product Documentation Technical Writer, you will produce technical and client-facing collateral for Thought Machine's Vault platform, from product and conceptual documentation through to creating configuration materials and training content for our client partners.
You will create a wide variety of client-facing materials whilst utilising your existing technical capabilities and knowledge to create comprehensive drafts to be refined through close contact with Engineering and Product teams. You’ll have the opportunity to contribute to standards and guidelines and promote technical publications best practices.
Through an in-depth understanding of the end-to-end Vault platform and its interlinked capabilities, you’ll create user-friendly content that thoroughly defines Vault and how it helps users achieve their end goals.
- Creating high quality first draft single sourced technical procedural and conceptual documentation for a variety of purposes, from pre sales through to implementation, ensuring complete, coherent, concise and accurate content
- Planning, developing and writing technical product documentation, upgrade and migration documents, user guides, release notes, API manuals, architecture diagrams, overviews, component interdependencies, technical reference manuals, implementation guides, installation guides and conceptual content using design documents, product planning tools like JIRA and Aha as well as close engagement with product and engineering teams, whilst ensuring a focus on audience and client business outcomes
- Developing technical presentations, design documents, white papers, training videos, ‘train the trainer’ courseware, PowerPoint presentations and other internal and client-facing material leveraging existing documentation and your own platform knowledge
- Identifying areas for documentation improvements and implementing enhancements at speed. Fostering continuous improvements and providing insight to Product and Engineering teams based on client feedback of existing documentation set and client satisfaction metrics gathered from a variety of sources
- Adhering to established Style Guide, tone of voice guidelines, established terminology list, templates, best practices and Brand guidelines
- Reviewing, testing documentation against releases and peer editing team output
- Ensuring collateral is inclusive for all audiences and users through use of language and design
- Preparing graphics and illustrations to complement technical content
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements for localised content
- An understanding of the subject matter
- Good technical ability in writing or creation in other media
- An ability to understand the situation from the reader's point of view
- A background in Software Engineering
- Strong knowledge of cloud-based technologies (AWS or GCP preferred)
- Understanding of how microservices work
- Understanding of banking technology
- Outstanding writing skills: able to describe technical information conceptually and procedurally and understand the need/usage of both
- Able to think critically and understand how technical components fit within the overall solution
- Able to read code to determine purpose, what the code does and what it achieves and be able to document what, how and why for end users in the documentation suite
- Experience at creating content that adheres to established guidelines, technical writing best practice and established Thought Machine standards and templates
- Able to demonstrate client and end user benefits in the platform
- Experienced at identifying audience and tailor writing accordingly
- Comfortable with querying SMEs to ensure complete, coherent and comprehensive documentation
- Customer-focussed mindset
- Highly organised and able to work effectively on multiple, concurrent projects
- Strong graphics and illustration ability
- Experience with content reuse methodologies: chunking, DITA mapping and content storage and retrieval
- Experience working in a CI/CD environment
- Familiarity with training design and development, including e-learning and multimedia
- Experience in the banking industry and cloud computing
- Highly competitive salary
- Pension plan
- Private health insurance (including dental amp; optical)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Onsite gym
- Sports and hobby clubs, subsidised by Thought Machine
- All the latest tech you need
- Start the day properly with fresh fruit and cereals
- Huge range of healthy (and not so healthy) snacks, smoothies, juice, tea, coffee and soft drinks on tap
- A talented amp; experienced team as your colleagues
- An environment where we encourage learning and progress
- Weekly food pop up
- Monthly social with arcade games
Thought Machine is committed to making a measurable positive impact on people's everyday lives. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We actively hire for cultural growth. We welcome people of all ages, backgrounds and value people who take a journey unique to them. We provide everyone with equal access to professional development. You are encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description.
No agencies please.